Carrie Strope Sohayda was born and raised in Lincoln, Nebraska where she attended college and obtained a Bachelor's Degree in Horticulture before moving to the Napa Valley to work in the wine industry. After a few years, she realized that she preferred drinking wine to the hours involved in making it. However, it was during this time that she started taking classes at the local college and pursuing an interest in art that had always taken a back seat. While taking classes in oil painting, mixed media, web design and photoshop, she stumbled upon a glass studio where she walked into a beginning glass fusing class and simply refused to leave!
Since then, she has expanded her resume considerably, and now teaches these beginning classes, as well as children's classes and more advanced classes.
Carrie has moved back to her hometown of Lincoln, Nebraska to be nearer to her family and is anxious to share her love of glass with her "new" community.
"I work with glass integrating different techniques, including mosaic, kiln-formed (or fused) glass, glass painting and stained glass. I enjoy experimenting with and combining various techniques and processes, using them to add new facets to my work. I am influenced by intricate geometric designs and color exploration, incorporating a love for quilting, textiles and bright colors inherited from my mother, who was an avid quilter. I love the meditation of breaking glass into many pieces, building them together into a new form. I enjoy that kilnformed glass can be a challenge. There’s always a chance for surprises and accidents. When the kiln lid closes, the glass can shift as it changes from a solid to a liquid and back. The transformative and independent nature of kiln-formed glass and its lessons of detachment have helped me evolve not only as an artist but also as a person, and makes me want to share glass as a medium with as many people as possible."
For a glimpse into the creative process,
check out CalyxAnn's YouTube channel.
- 2013 artVenture Girl Scouts collaborative fused glass art project; February, 2013
- Partners for Otoe County Middle School After School Art Club in fused glass and mosaics; October 2012 - March 2013
- Clinton Elementary School Resident Artist (NAiS/C), worked with K-5th grades to create collaborative glass mosaic quilt; December, 2012
- High Plains Community Schools Resident Artist (NAiS/C), worked with K-12 on fusible glass and glass mosaic collaborative projects; September-October 2012
- 2012 artVenture Girl Scouts collaborative fused glass art project; 2012
- Riley Elementary School Resident Artist (NAiS/C), worked with 2nd-3rd grades to create collaborative fusible glass installation; January-February 2012
- Slumpy's 2nd Annual Slumpfest, Instructor, Belmont, NC; October 8-10, 2011
- Nebraska Arts Council Artists in Schools/Communities roster of teaching artists; 2011-present
- Traveling No Days Instructor, Streuter Technologies; 2011-present
- LUX Center for the Arts, Lincoln, NE - Adult Glass Fusing; Private Workshops in Fused Glass Jewelry & Mosaic; 2010-2012
- Workshops in Fusing, Mosaic and Stained Glass at the Las Vegas GlassCraft & Bead Expo, Streuter Technologies; 2011-2012
- 2011 artVenture Girl Scouts collaborative fused glass art project; 2011, 2012
- Intermediate Glass Fusing Techniques, Dichroic Jewelry, Mosaic Classes- Architectural GlassArts, Lincoln; NE 2010-present
- Teaching Assistant for Michele Mitcavish, Las Vegas Glass Craft & Bead Expo; 2009-2010
- McPherson Elementary and Salvador Elementary During School 'Stained Glass,' Fused 'Glass,' and Glass Mosaics - First Grade/Kindergarten; January-June, 2008
- Salvador Elementary Afterschool Mosaic and Fused Glass - Kindergarten - Fifth Grade; October-December, 2007
- "Beginning Fused Glass," "Soldered Glass Jewelry - Pendants," "Quilting with Glass," M.Mitcavish Glass Artistry; 2007-2009
EXHIBITIONS AND AWARDS
- Gallery of Excellence, Glass Craft & Bead Expo, April, 2013; 1st and 2nd place, Professional Blown Glass
- LUXurious Jewelry Trunk Show, LUX Center for the Arts, January, 2013
- Wrappable; LUX Center for the Arts, November-December 2012
- Lincoln Artists' Guild Annual Exhibition, A to Z Printing, September - October, 2012
- Gala deLUX, LUX Center for the Arts, Lincoln, NE, September, 2012
- Affairs of the 'Art, Noyes Gallery, April 2012LUXurious Jewelry Trunk Show, LUX Center for the Arts, January 19, 2012
- LUXurious Jewelry Trunk Show, LUX Center for the Arts, January 19, 2012
- Glacial Till Tasting Room, Ashland, NE, August, 2011-January, 2013
- Gifts From the Heart, LUX Center for the Arts, Lincoln, NE November-December, 2011
- Nebraska Arts Council Governor's Residence Exhibition, Lincoln, NE, November-December, 2011; juried
- Nebraska State Fair, Fine Arts Glass Division, 2011, "Best of Division" "All Nebraska Artist"
- From Bees and Sand: Margaret Berry and Carrie Strope, Kimmel-Nelson Harding Center for the Arts, Nebraska City, NE; May-June, 2011
- Spring Bling: Jewelry Trunk Show, LUX Center for the Arts, Lincoln, NE May 19, 2011
- "Stars Are Out" Alzheimer's Association Gala, Lincoln, NE, May 13, 2011
- Earth's Treasures, Immanuel Fine Art Gallery, Lincoln, NE, January-April 2011
- Small Treasures, Haydon Art Center, Lincoln, NE, December, 2010
- Gifts from the Heart, LUX Center for the Arts, Lincoln, NE, November-December, 2010
- Nature's Bounty, Noyes Art Gallery, Lincoln, NE, October, 2010
- Gala deLUX, LUX Center for the Arts, Lincoln, NE, September, 2010
- Nebraska State Fair, Fine Arts Glass Division, 2010, "Best of Division"
- Lincoln Artists' Guild 90th Anniversary Show, A to Z Printing,Lincoln, NE, July-August, 2010, "Third Place"
- Napa Town and Country Fair, Napa, CA, 2008 "Best in Show"
- Cardwell, Jenny. "ArtVenture Auction." L Magazine 22 March 2014: Around Town. JournalStar.com. Web.